From our course we were asked to prepare a literature review on a theme of our interest.
What is a literature review?
A literature review, according to our tutor, is an account of what has been published on a topic by accredited scholars and researchers. Specificly, it lists a number of resources which contain information about the subject of the literature review, with a description and an evaluation for each one of them. The literature review usually precedes the research on the subject defined, and its value is significant since it:
- ensures that a research on the chosen subject hasn’t already been done
- justifies the research (why it is worthy a research on this subject to be done?)
- provides context for the research
New media and Nike
For my literature review I chose the subject “The use of new media by Nike and its reflect on Nike’s profile and profits.” for the following reasons:
- Nike is a world-known sportswear brand, which from its begining had an elegant and meticulous profile reflected on its products, stores and advertising campaigns.
- Nike is one of the first companies which realized the power of new media and took advantage of them since their very begining (websites, installations etc.). A representative example is the Human Race which will take place at the 24th of October ’09.
- As strange as it might sound, NikeTown is a source of inspiration for me.
To present the findings of my literature review I made a 5′ minutes presentation as we were asked to do. The powerpoint file is available below with the narration in the notes section.
♦ “The use of new media by Nike” Literature Review ♦
In the presentation I followed the Pecha Kucha style as we were encouraged to do, by using only images for slides, without any text. The picture above is a slide of the presentation.